Monday, May 11, 2020

"Missing You", a list poem

Below is a "list poem" that I wrote for a presentation I gave at St. Mark's Church over a year ago, on why seniors should write.  The poem began with a list of favourite clothing I've had over the years. Participants in the workshop made lists that were wonderfully varied. One woman listed favourite smells. Another participant listed the Latin names for bacteria. Someone else listed  a pet's charming traits. Another listed garden flowers.

 Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous sonnet, "How Do I Love Thee?" is a list poem. There are plenty of song lyrics that are essentially lists, two being"If I Had a Million Dollars", recorded by the Bare Naked Ladies, and "I've Been Everywhere," recorded by Johnny Cash. Try writing a list poem.


MISSING YOU
by Ruth Latta

Instead of sending you away, I truly wish I’d let you stay.
I was a fool to act in haste, although you didn’t go to waste.

My blue dress with the tiny rose - I miss you more than you’d suppose.
My jacket, brown, in fine suede leather, I know that we looked good together.

My warm and furry Orlon hat: this winter I regretted that
I gave you up, so bright and red. You’re gracing someone else’s head

My long cream coat with real mink collar, you made me look so chic, and taller.
I said goodbye to a green suit, though photos show it looked quite cute.

I packed you up to give the needy, now  wish I hadn’t been so speedy
I never stopped to think, back then, that styles keep coming round again.

No comments:

Post a Comment